Friday, May 30, 2008

Who is a in-law?

Hello Princess,
Who is a inlaw? I was told that only the sibling of your spouse is considered a inlaw, the spouse of your inlaw is just that, a spouse. Could you clarify that for me?
Thank you,April

An in-law is your husband's immediate family. Your sister-in-law's husband is sort of an in-law but there's not an official RULE on it. A lot depends on how close you are to your in-laws. I am blessed with great in-laws but my husband is an only child. His Aunts and Uncles are like my aunts and uncles and I call them Aunt Jane and Uncle Jack. My brother's wife is my sister-in-law and I consider her sister to be a friend although she is also the aunt of their children, just as I am. I think it's where the term "kissing cousin" came from--you are sort of related but not really if you know what I mean. I would introduce them as "My sister-in-law Susan and her husband John" to strangers which would be perfectly proper. Theoretically, only the sibling of your spouse is your in-law but in the grand scheme of things, there's no such thing as too many people to love, is there?
Limo Princess

No comments: