Saturday, May 31, 2008

My doctor is incredibly rude!

Dear Limo Princess,
I had orthopedic surgery about a week ago on my foot. Today the surgeon was very rude to me and yelled at me. I did not appreciate his attitude and feel the need to let him know that his behavior was inappropriate, but I am not sure what to say or when. I have an upcoming appointment and could tell him then, or I could put it in writing. I am very upset about this. I was on the phone calling from home with a serious problem related to the surgery and from the office he yelled at me with staff all around to hear him and at least some knew it was me on the other end. That part I have confirmed, that staff were around and he was standing in the middle of the office berating me. I told him right then and there on the phone to "back off" but I feel I need to further it by pointing out that he ridiculed me not only by yelling at me and saying mean things but did so in front of his staff who knew who he was talking to. I did not while on the phone point THAT part out to him. Should I? I am very upset about this and was driven to tears afterwards. But I don't want to be rude myself by bringing the matter up again if while on the phone I gave him the message to "back off". I am not sure if pointing out etiquette to him is my job. That is letting him know that he had no right to berate me in front of people, albeit I was not there but staff knew who he was talking to. Thank you.

Dear Casy,
Doctors are some of the rudest and most arrogant people on earth. They all suffer from "God complex" to some extent. Although I look for technical excellence in a surgeon and bedside manner in my primary care doctor, there's no excuse for this sort of behavior. My advice is two-pronged in this case. First, find another doctor and write him a letter telling him why in the letter you send requesting your medical records. Second, you can tell the world about him at this website: www.rateMDs.com so that everyone can read about what a jerk he is!
Sympathetically,
Limo Princess

No comments: