Friday, May 30, 2008

How to deal with racist comments

Dear Limo Princess,
My MiL's partner occasionally makes the same comment about how amazed he is that I can speak English so well...I've been polite & responded that I am an American so there is nothing special about my speaking English. I've voiced this to my husband & he said not to be offended by it as the man is 80 years old & doesn't mean what he says; MiL told hubby she noticed the comments as well, but it's no use correcting him as he will forget what we said in 10 minutes. I'm a little worried as I was coerced into inviting this man to an important family event (MiL assumed they were both invited) & wonder how I should deal with it if it is repeated? I have kicked myself in the past for not being prepared to deal with the racist comments.

Dear Katherine,
Remarking to someone that their command of the English language is excellent is not a racist comment. A racist comment would be "You speak English so well for a (insert ethnic slur here)" and THEN you would have every right to be offended. So few people speak the language correctly these days that it is refreshing to come across someone who is well-spoken. Many people are very quick to take offense when none is intended, which is not to say that you were wrong, I wasn't there, so I must let your interpretation of the remark stand.A far more serious issue is that you assume that you can leave out your mother in law's companion when you invite her to a family event. You can tell your mother in law that your invitation to her does not include her partner, however, when you invite one half of a couple and not the other half, it will be you that will be serious breach of etiquette, and she will have every right to be offended. When you invite one member of a couple, it is assumed that the other member is also invited unless it is a gender specific event such as a bachelor party. So, unless you are prepared to deal with your mother in law's distress at being left out of the party you are stuck and I am sympathetic to your plight, but good manners dictate that you cannot invite one-half of a couple to a family social event.You have two options if this man makes rude remarks at your party and they are:1. Ignore them and consider the source as I am sure your other guests will do, or2. Politely ask him to leave.A lady never makes a scene. If wish to ask him to leave your party, have your husband go to him and ask to speak to him privately outside. Once outside, your husband asks him to leave, hands him his hat an coat and turns and walks back inside the party venue. Hopefully it will not come to that, but if it does, that is the proper way to handle it.I hope that your party is a success and that all goes well.Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance and again, chin up and take the high road!
Best of Luck, Limo Princess

No comments: